I’m including audios and novels
Five least favourite stories
1. Warmonger by Uncle Terrance – Doc 5 is the warmonger in a battle against a renegade Time Lord involving cybermen, sontarans, draconians and others. Peri becomes battle-hardened and the story spans monts. Bizarre.
2. Wolfsbane by Jacqueline Rayner – Doc 4, Doc 8, Harry, Sarah, Nazis, werewolves, and uses the torture and camps of the Nazis to give a romp emotional depth. Horrible and offensive.
3. Time and the Rani – From Sylvester being swamped by a blond wig and Baker C’s coat through “Leave the girl, it’s the man I want” a regeneration story that turned off as many viewers as
4. The Twin Dilemma – Psycho Doc Baker, C, tries to strangle his companion, while feeling pity for Maurice Denham when faced with two atrocious child actors.
5. Doctor Who Unbound He Jests at Scars – The Valeyard, Mel, continuity obsessed, nuff said?
Five favourite stories
1. The EMpty Child/The Doctor Dances
2. The Mind Robber
3. The Crooked World by Steve Lyons – Doc 8 in a world of cartoons where reality starts to break through.
4. The Deadly Assassin
5. Caves of Androzani
Bubbling under: The Girl in the fireplace; The Aztecs; Inferno; The Ark in Space; Revelation of the Daleks; Tomb of the Cybermen
Five least favourite female companions
1. Jo Grant – blond, bumbling, screamer
2. Vicki – probably because not much survives and such as does is not
3. Sam Jones (apart from the Lawrence Miles novels) – a tick the boxes ishoo led companion. Inconsistently characterised.
4. The Nissan Traken – a character with potentia but somewhat underued.
5. With Ace one has so many options – but let’s try Dark Ace from the NAs and “Just call me McShane” from the audios.
Five favourite female companions
1. Romana (splendid character, all of them)
2. Barbara – throughout the opening season Barbara and Ian are at the centre of the story and both can act, and it seems that some thought has been given to the characters.
3. Evelyn Smith (in the audios – a History lecturer, older than the usual companions, a refreshing change)
4. Compassion – in the novels, a character with a secret ill-used in her final stories.
5. Sarah Jane Smith
Five least favourite male companions
2. Benton – a dislike that has grown through hearing the actor on the INferno commentary.
4. Adam (if he counts)
5. Hex in the audios (because there are so few male companions that this becomes tricky)
Five most favourite male companions
2. The Brig – Nick Courtney has a likeability his Unit colleagues lack
3. Harry – well pitched, well acted.
4. Steven – much underrated. He has some depth and Peter “Crufts” Purves is rather good.
5. Ian – god bless William Russell.
Five favourite villains
2. Davros (mainly for Genesis and Revelation)
3. Sharaz Jek
4. Tlotoxl from The Aztecs
5. Chancellor Goth
Bubbling under Magnus Greel and Professor Zaroff 😉
1. Troughton – quixotic
2. Eccleston – a brilliant performance.
4. Baker, T (seasons 12 – 14)